Monday, November 3, 2014

Here are the 2014 Starbucks Holiday Flavors, Featuring the Christmas Cookie Latte

*Photo from Starbucks Philippines Facebook Page
I went to Starbucks earlier today for my daily dose of coffee and I saw that the red holiday Christmas cups are back, which usually marks the official release of their featured holiday beverages and, more importantly, the 2015 Starbucks Planner. Their lineup of holiday beverages this year features the new Christmas Cookie Latte along with old favorites such as the Toffee Nut Latte and Peppermint Mocha.

Starbucks Philippines normally releases the same core beverages each year, and these are the Toffee Nut Latte and Peppermint Mocha, but they also release a new flavor that, in my opinion, aren't that delicious (forgetful flavors such as the Praline Mocha and Dark Cherry Mocha). 

I have been drinking these Christmas drinks for quite some time now, since my planner collection started way back in 2010, but I have always ordered only one holiday favorite to complete the sticks for my planner. Will this year break that streak?


Toffee Nut Latte

The rich, buttery flavor of toffee with the warmth of toffee nuts, combined with our smooth espresso and velvety steamed milk. This Toffee Nut Latte is made even more special with new espresso caramel whipped cream and toffee sprinkles.

It's pretty obvious, but my favorite Christmas beverage is the Toffee Nut Latte. It has been my go-to Christmas drink since 2010, given it's delicious blend of toffee nuts, espresso, and caramel which exploded with richness in every sip. It's pretty decadent and it's difficult not to love it. So yes, this has always been the drink to beat. 

I only have had one instance of a bad Toffee Nut Latte and it might have been because they either put sour milk or too much syrup which resulted in a drink that didn't taste as good. Of course, I asked them to make me another one and they happily did so. Amazing service! 

Rating: 4.0/5  
  
Christmas Cookie Latte

A buttery creamy latte infused with shortbread cookie sauce, topped with  whipped cream, shortbread cookie drizzle and butter cookie crumbles. 

This year's new featured beverage is much-awaited Christmas Cookie Latte, which is a blend of cookie sauce, espresso, and steamed milk. I must say that this is the first Christmas beverage that has impressed me this much other than the Toffee Nut Latte. It somehow reminds me of Early Bird Breakfast Club's Butterbeer or Speculoos Cookie Butter, because of it's buttery taste coupled with a caramel finish. Yes, it's that good! 


The drink itself is quite sweet, and I prefer to drink it hot rather than as a Blended Frappucino because it's less sweet.  I would recommend this drink to anyone, and it's really a drink that I order again to complete the rest of my stickers (That's probably what I'll do this year). Make sure to stir the drink well while it's hot so that the whipped cream gets mixed with the rest of the coffee! 

UPDATE: This drink has been very inconsistent in terms of flavor. I've had the opportunity to taste it 5 times, and it was only good for 3 out of the 5 times. It depends on the store and the barista that made it.

Rating: 4.5/5

Peppermint Mocha

Rich, bittersweet chocolate, combines with peppermint, sweet espresso and velvety steamed milk. Topped with whipped cream, mocha drizzle and  peppermint-flavored candy bits.

I'm not a fan of minty chocolate or minty coffee, so it makes sense that I wouldn't ever order a Peppermint Mocha. The one time I did try it, I found that it was actually quite tasty. However, I find it hard to differentiate from all the mint chocolates that come out at this time of the year. 

It's hard to justify spending over 175 pesos for a Peppermint Mocha and I would much rather spend it on the other Christmas drinks instead. I'd say it's pretty ok, but it's not as delicious or unique as the other two drinks. There are surely some people who would prefer this over the two, but I'm just not one of those people.

Rating: 2.5/5

So this ends my review of the Starbucks Holiday Beverages. Please try the Christmas Cookie Latte, you'll like it! 

What's your favorite drink of the three holiday beverages, and what do you think of the Christmas Cookie Latte?

Don't miss out! You can follow me on Facebook or subscribe to Chef Jay's Kitchen by email to get updates on new articles. To check out my restaurant reviews, follow me on Zomato.

Cheers,
Chef Jay

*Photos taken from Starbucks Phlippines Facebook Page and Rappler

2 comments:

  1. Will get the Christmas Cookie Latte next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, I quite like it. :) Let me know what you think of it

      Delete